Friday, September 24, 2010

SOAP server with perl and Lighttpd

A co-worker of mine turned me on to lighttpd(pronounced lighty) a while back, and it does exactly what it says on the tin, it's the least resource intensive webserver I've found(yet). I deal with SOAP at work, and I've always been curious what's happening in the background, I bought a SOAP book(which was 99% useless). However it said that creating a SOAP server isn't that hard and it provided some steps(I think it was apache based) so I set out upon seeing if there was a less resource intensive solution here.

Thanks to the article here:

I saw that it was possible to create a SOAP server using lighttpd! I thought this was awesome, since I had been using it as a webserver for a while. Even though the instructions said that it doesn't work, I decided to go through them anyways. And I was able to get it to work thanks to a few bugfixes on behalf of the package maintainers. 

A few caveats here and additional packages that aren't mentioned in the article. You will need to install Crypt-SSLeay and SOAP::Lite through CPAN, and also a few packages were needed to be installed through aptitude that weren't mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment